20 August 2006

Online Photo Services

Other then Flickr account that I had - and was not happy with, I decided to try a couple other online photo services.

Photobucket
I liked the storage, and the monthly bandwidth limits they put in place (1GB, and 10GB respectively), it's a sure number, you can choose what size images to upload - lots of small images or a few large ones - you get to choose! I wasn't impressed at all with the interface, or how they thought it was best to organize things (very little choice there).
One positive that I did find with this, was a program called Flock. It allows you to upload and view photos from a Flickr or Photobucket account. Too bad I don't use either of these. Big plus on it, it's based off of FireFox.

Walgreen's
Well, what can I say, it has to be one of the best services I have used. Unlimited storage, you can share images online, and you can get the prints shipped to you - or pick them up at a Walgreen's ($0.19) if you are close to one. I actually used this for work today - very handy. Only problem with this is that it doesn't have that pleasant of an appearance, and not much of the handy functionality that others have.

Yahoo Photo Beta
I used Yahoo photo before, wasn't that impressed. Now I'm starting to get that way. You don't have the storage or bandwidth limits that others have (Yahoo has more money), you can add labels to your photos, comments, and even sort the photos into multiple albums. Only thing I miss is the ability to select who can see what photo, with Yahoo you have two options, Private or Public. I miss the ability to select Friends, Family, Public, or Private (from Flickr).
The interface is very nice, and intuitive. It also has a handy extension for FireFox that allowed me to drop and drag photos from my Linux desktop (I didn't see that on the rest of them).
Big problem with this so far - it's still a beta. I get errors often; odd thing about all but one of the errors, after I clicked okay on the error message, it did what I asked anyway. The errors are negated by the cute hamsters that you get to see every once in a while.

Conclusion
I will stick with Yahoo Photos Beta for now, unless I can find a reason to switch to another service.

0 comments: