22 August 2006

Censor the classics?!

Okay, here is the deal. Tom and Jerry, along with other classic cartoons are being censored so that they cut out "...any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorized or where it might encourage imitation,". All of that because ONE person complained.
While I don't like smoking, never have, I don't think that changing the past should occur just because I don't like something. Parents should use the occasions where smoking comes up, to talk to their children, not just let the TV be the kids baby sitter. One more problem I have with this, just because a young person sees Tom smoking a cancer stick, doesn't mean that they will imitate it, he's often the bad guy anyway, I haven't seen a kid run around and smack someone with a shovel and an iron because they saw it on a cartoon.
Here is my opinion on this one - raise your kids, teach them what is right, and give them the resources to make the right decisions; but I guess I just don't know what it means to be a parent (and that means my parents didn't know how to be parents either).
Here is the link to the article. Link

0 comments: