19 August 2006

Flickr

Well, today I deiced to try using Flickr for many of my photos... I can't say that I have been really impressed.
It's a good service, but it just doesn't seem to live up to the hype that I have been bombarded with. The Pro service is more what I expected of the free account, the free account is just so limited that it can't be used by anyone who wants to use the service to archive and organize their photos.
The benefits of the pro account ($24.95 per year):

  • 2 GB monthly upload limit
  • Unlimited storage
  • Unlimited bandwidth
  • Unlimited photosets
  • Permanent archiving of high-resolution original images
  • The ability to replace a photo
  • Ad-free browsing and sharing

Compare that to what you get with a Free Account:

  • 20 MB monthly upload limit
  • 3 photosets
  • Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images
  • Storage of smaller (resized) images
Let's compare the two sets of features.
Monthly upload limit: Pro 2GB, Free 20MB. I don't think that the upload limit is that big of a deal, unless you constantly uploading photos - but for the normal person, 20MB should be fine most of the time.

Storage: Really this the most annoying thing for me. Pro - Unlimited, Free - 200 most recent images. For the free account, I can see them wanting to put a limit of the amount of storage (after all, they have to pay for it), but to limit it to 200 images, that just seem kind of arbitrary. Why not put a size limit on the storage? That way people can ask "Well, I can upload 300 smaller images, or 200 larger images - which is more important to me?"
Now with a storage limit on the free account, you would think that no more photos would be allowed, or older ones would be deleted, once the limit is reached, but they are not. According to Flickr "Your photos are NOT removed from Flickr, only from the list of your photos." What?! That means that if I have 201 pictures, and the first one I uploaded was that of my newborn baby - then it's still there, but I can't get to it unless I pay $25.00.
Here is the deal, they are not limiting the size of the account because they have to pay for the extra storage, but only because they want people to pay for the service. Yes, limiting the number of photos that people can see is a way of paying for the extra storage - you will get people who pay - but really it sounds more like blackmail to me.

Photosets
: Pro - Unlimited, Free - 3. These are basically just super tags, that have a nice image to represent the tag... not a big deal or a huge waste of storage. So why do they limit the free account to only 3? Not a deal breaker, you can at least use tags, but they aren't as useful (harder to find) then the photosets.

Image size: Pro - Unlimited storage of high-resolution images, Free - storage of smaller (resized) images. I think I explained my take on this in the Storage section.

My take on Flickr, can be useful for very limited uploading of images for blogging or something like that (as long as you use the account once every 90 days), or very good for frequent updating of images for many reasons (if you are willing to pay for it), but it doesn't seem to have a good middle ground.

0 comments: