27 June 2007

Linux fun

I've had a bug up my butt for a while, so I finally took the plunge, and reinstalled Kubuntu. I put on Gutsy Tribe 1. Before a did any of that, I backed up my information to an external hard drive - that took about an hour. All in all, the install was rather painless, it took about an hour from the time I put the CD in, to reboot, for everything to install - but then again I did take a small break in there for a sandwich.
After the install I had to go through, and reconfigure X though - it doesn't like to work with my display the first time (I had the same problem with Feisty, so I knew what to do this time). I got NDISwrapper to work for the first time with this system, never been able to get it to work before; so now I can use the internal wireless. I did have a strange problem though, this morning when I went to use my wireless, I just could not get it to work, so I pulled out my trusty 50' CAT5, plugged it in, pulled down kwifimanager, then suddenly knetworkmanager started working. All my settings copied over fine. Oh, and OpenOffice works now - maybe I can work on my resume again.
One of the problems I was having with Feisty, was that sometimes the computer would overheat, hasn't happened with Gutsy yet. Or maybe that is because I removed Vista from the HDD as well.

0 comments: