28 June 2007

Cash and food



Well, I'm unemployed (have been for the last month). Which means I have no cash coming in. This means that my previous eating habits are not something I can indulge in.

Previous eating habits:
Okay, here is a quick breakdown of my previous eating habits, this is when I had a job and cash coming in. Often times when Jana and I wanted something to eat we would run out and grab it, either from a restaurant, or a fast food joint; it was just plain easier. I have noticed a few things since I haven't been able to do that. When eating out, you get larger portions, and you paid for the food so you are damn well going to eat it - after all there are children starving in Antarctica; plus it is costly. None of that is good, it's not healthy (for your body or your pocket book).

Current eating habits:
Now that I'm not having any cash coming in, Jana and I have to watch our eating habits carefully, that means no running out for fast food. No running out for fast food means that we have to cook at home (I'm fairly sure that is what we got the oven for). Cooking at home has many advantages over eating out, you're eating food that is better for you (no high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient), you eat smaller portions (smaller plate, but that is more of a personal thing), and don't forget that it's cheaper. Eating at home dose have it's share of difficulties (extra time, dishes), but I'm finding that those difficulties are not as bad as they would seem, and become less of an issue the more you cook at home.

This change in eating habits has some great results. I'm feeling better, less stressed (though that could be due to meditating everyday and not working), my bowel has settled down, plus the knowledge that I can eat at home and be happy about it.

0 comments: