28 June 2007

Google Desktop on Linux


Well, the day that some people have been waiting for has arrived, Google Desktop is now available for Linux. It isn't the Google Desktop that you see for Windows, you don't get the Google Gadgets, but you do get an indexed search of your computer.
Some people are not impressed with this. And you can see why when you think that Linux has Beagle and Srigi, both of which do the same basic thing (though they don't index you gmail account).
I for one am happy to see this. I don't care about getting Google Desktop on my computer, though I am testing it out. One thing that is different about this, versus some of Google's other Linux offerings, is that it does not require Wine to run. I see this as a good thing, hopefully other companies will see this as an example, and try to follow with some other products.

0 comments: