17 June 2007

Bookmarks

Hi, my name is Duane, and I'm a bookmarkaholic. I can't stop bookmarking sites that I find interesting - even if I'm not likely to return to the site. I finally took the time to get my bookmarks organized.
Here is a picture of my bookmark toolbar before I started (>200 unfiled bookmarks before):
To get everything organized I did the following:

  • I moved all my bookmarks into one master folder called Sort.
  • From that point, I worked through all the unfiled bookmarks; I either deleted them, or moved them into an appropriate folder.
  • Next, I worked my way through all of the existing folders that I had; also deleting the bookmarks that I didn't need.
  • Once a folder was cleaned out, it was then moved to another called Done (for rather obvious reasons).
I now have about 1/16 the bookmarks that I started with - much cleaner.
  • Next I moved the bookmarks that I use the most frequently into the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.
  • The rest the bookmarks got moved into a folder called Others.
  • To finish the job, I created a folder called Note Pad (named after Netscape 9's extension).
As a plus I use two extensions
  1. Sort Bookmarks (which I can't find the current link to)
  2. 2 Pane Bookmarks
All of this gives me a rather cleaner look, and much less clutter:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1928

0 comments: